9.17.2008

yee haw!

we went to rodeo. my first time, and i dressed for the ocassion. but even with a cowboy hat, tight jeans, a nice big belt buckle, i still felt like an observer. what can i say, it's not my thing. don't get me wrong--the bull riding is amazing, mutton busting is hilarious, the horses are magnificent. but i'm not a fan of the calf roping. and, more importantly, i just do not understand these people. i've never understood that "man vs. nature" mentality that would have you conquer an animal. and when they opened the event by saying "we dedicate this to the firemen, policemen, and those great men fighting over seas, not to the politician or the activist!" (with disdain dripping from those last words), i couldn't help thinking that, although i too love this country and am honored by those who serve in uniform, i also have profound respect for "politicians" ie george washington, thomas jefferson, abraham lincoln, FDR, JFK--to name but a few. and i also can't imagine a world without "activists"--those who believe in a cause and, though not in uniform, fight for it--people like martin luther king jr and susan b. anthony. i don't think the announcer meant to demean the efforts of such great people, but it's just that mentality in general that i have a hard time with. a mentality that thinks the job of a rodeo clown is to make crude jokes about wives and mother-in-laws. it's just foreign to me.
BUT it was fun. a cultural experience, no doubt. and, who knows, if i had met a cowboy as cute as these two, i could very well be a cowgirl!

couldn't you just eat them?

9 comments:

MediocreMama said...

Rodeos were a thing of my childhood, growing up near (not IN) Tooele...glad you found the good. Where are the pictures of your outfit? That's what I was waiting for...

Oh, and I cannot believe you met Seriously So Blessed's husband. Lucky.

The Kemps said...

We went to the rodeo this year too. Somethings aren't my style either, but my kids had fun. Your boys look darling!!!

Moore Family said...

What cute cute cowboys. I wish I could have seen you Janell in all your gidup, I am sure it was awesome!

Sheri said...

Yee Haw them thar are some side splittin' cute critters. Glad you had fun at the Rodeao

Lis said...

OK, that sounds interesting! I have been wanting to take the kids, Marco's boss actually does the whole rodeo thang, but the mentality doesn't sound like him much...phew! Cute photos. So sad we missed you saturday. We still need to figure out a time to get together while Joshua is out of school. Oh and we can't do the 25th anymore, we'll be at the BYU game.

kelly said...

So those pictures were so cute, but I want to see you in the get up too! Miss you - kelly

Becky said...

Hey Janell,
This is Becky Johnson from the good ol' BYU 172nd ward. Just thought I'd say 'hi'. Your kids are adorable! I can't believe how old they are now. Looks like you guys are doing really well -I'm happy for you!

Cormorant said...

Your boys are ADORABLE! Seriously...so cute! And how did your marathon go? You haven't posted in a while; what are you up to lately?

Heide Call said...

Oh my goodness they are just adorable! I have to admit that even though we lived in Texas I've still never expereinced the Rodeo scene...