1.24.2008

one heart and one mind

anyone who knows much of me, knows that i love the new york times. i've probably sent most of you an article or two (or hundreds, ie dave). another thing you probably know is that i love hillary clinton. i find her a beautiful, amazingly well-spoken woman. i don't think she is the best orator of the group, but i do think her commitment is genuine. she has showed a commitment to children--especially with poverty and universal health care. she has shown an extremely knowledgeable grasp of policy that i think is missing in all the other candidates. she has a clear plan for iraq, and has spent her last 7 years in the senate cultivating military and international diplomatic relationships. i could go on, but i think those are the main things i love about her. i also really like obama and edwards. obama is inspiring, and i will happily vote for him if he gets the democratic nomination. my personal experience with edwards when i was in dc has forever endeared him to me. i don't love any of the republican nominees, but i do respect mccain. he stands up for things--his positions on immigration, environment, campaign finance and torture are all very principled and not always popular, as is his stance on the war. i don't agree with his stance on the war, but i appreciate his frankness and dedication. i once liked huckabee but i think he's gotten out of control. romney i'm skeptical of, and have been thoroughly disappointed by his performance in the debates. many people think that, if elected, he will center. but in the meantime he is doing his best to make all kinds of extreme promises to prove he is the most conservative. i think he could be good for the economy, however, and is probably the only republican up for tackling the tough issues of entitlement reform (whether or not he would, would have to be seen...) i won't touch giuliani, as i can't stand him. and i think ron paul is a nut, but to each their own.

while the two democratic front runners are running to the center--to be moderate and speaking of bridging the partisan gap--the republicans are in a rush to the right. the republican debates have been painful for me to see, them each trying to prove that they are the ones who hate immigrants the most, who have the most guns, who are the most religious, etc. i don't think this is good for our country.
i bring this up because today the nytimes announced that they are endorsing clinton and mccain for the primaries. these are of course my top choices for each party. we're of one heart and one mind, me and the times...
now i must say, lest i be accused of blind partisanship, that i am supporting democrats because my core beliefs align with them, and not just because they bear the name. social justice, progressive taxation, equitability, active government, social safety net. i don't believe in the death penalty. i do strongly support stricter gun control laws. i think we need to do more to help the environment, and reduce our energy dependence even at the risk of offending the big energy companies. i think we should spend more money on international aid than on defense spending. i think health care should be universal, that everyone should be able to go to the doctor, receive necessary treatment. it appalls me that people think otherwise. i believe immigrants--even illegal ones--still have "certain inalienable rights," simply because they're people. i believe they should be treated as such. i don't think deportation and building a magic wall will stop the things that bring them to our wonderful country--they come for opportunity, to feed their families, the same reason our ancestors came. and if we want them to stay in mexico, we do this by bolstering the mexican economy, take those billions spent on deportation, on wall-building, on boarder patrol--and invest it in their economy thereby providing them jobs and opportunities in their own countries. i believe in helping people, at cost to myself and others equally privileged. i believe in helping people without judging their deservedness. i believe that i am very blessed, and don't think that myself and others in similar positions are harder working, more honest, better people than those who have less and could use a hand.
i could go on. i constantly engage in political banter, and love it. however, i rarely say what i really feel or think and why, because it is personal to me. these aren't things i take lightly. i feel very strongly about them. i am not trying to defend or prove the correctness of any of my opinions. i know these are extremely complex issues. based on my limited understanding, i have tried to come to grips with these issues the best way i can, in a way that feels right to my conscience. i don't apologize for that, but i do hope not to offend...

15 comments:

Sophia said...

Very well said.

Beth said...

Janell, I know you don't know me, but I was a friend of Josh's growing up. I have read your blog from time to time, and love seeing cute pics of your family. But, I HAD to comment on this. It is hard to find someone who is interested in and knowledgeable about politics. My husband's family engages in constant political banter. I think it is healthy and important for people to have some sort of awareness of politics. This was great! THANKS!

Tolly & Lennon said...

We can still be friends even if you like Hilary. I guess.

I participated in the Nevada caucus last weekend. I felt so patriotic. You would've enjoyed it I'm sure.

Don't even get me started on Guiliani, either.

People Power Granny said...

I hope to vote for Edwards on Super Tuesday. Readers can check out People Power Granny and read why. I also invite all of you to vote in my poll about the SC. Democratic Primary results.

brooklyn said...

Although nothing here surprised me, I loved reading it.

I feel like I rarely state my opinion either (you can probably guess why), but I will here.

I agree with most everything, but I still feel mixed about immigration. I have been very involved working with immigrants now for six years and I love having them here, but there are a lot of things that aren't working with the situation. I've seen more and more how inner-city schools and hospitals are collapsing under the burden. I don't mind a strain to help, but things are literally shutting down. Two hospitals in L.A. had to close last year, the schools I work in are drained beyond capability, resources are drained, our government is in dangerous debt. I also get a little resentful when all the immigrants I know from countries other than those in Central America, whose situations are worse than any I've heard, do things legally and come and contribute. Where those who are illegal don't/can't contribute.

On another note, i like Hillary, but the only thing I feel weary of about (enlighten me, please) is that she has accepted money from lobbyists and other pharmaceutical links, who are the primary cause of escalated health costs. how can she help the health care crisis when she's shaking hands with the problem?

brooklyn said...

I just took a glassbooth.org test and according to it, Hillary is my girl. She matches all of my opinions besides Iraq (but no one matches that) and I read up on her policies in depth. So, today, she's getting my vote.
It's like roulette. We'll see who I land on on the day of the vote.

And, unless you're totally sick of Hillary resistance, I really would like to hear what you think about her health care ideas.

Cormorant said...

Janell, I love your ideas--very similar to mine, of course. I'm linking your post on my blog, because it's almost exactly what I want to say. And although Hillary isn't my first choice (it's true, I love Obama), she is a VERY close second and I would LOVE it if she won. So, props to you for voicing your opinion.

Anonymous said...

I think political banter is fun as long as people don't get too serious.
I have a grandfather that is very democratic and is so much that he has kicked his grandson, who was visiting with his family from far away, out of his house because they didn't agree on issues! We all just know we don't bring issues up with him. Except sometimes it's fun to see him get heated.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Janell. I totally respect your opinion. These days, politics is an incredibly divisive thing and it shouldn't be.

I guess I'd label myself an independent conservative. I agree we need to be responsible stewards of the environment and the government should impose reasonable environmental regulations. I also believe in strong education and equal opportunity regardless of race, religion, etc. Anyone that works hard enough should be able to achieve what they want in life, and I believe in America you can.

I believe the free market system has made our economy one of the strongest in the world. By most measures our economy is still strong, although I think President Bush and Congress have strained our economy by demonstrating a lack of spending restraint. Business should have sufficient oversight to prevent abuse, but smaller government empowers individuals and business. That's good for everyone because it creates jobs, increases charitable giving and improves the quality of life for all citizens - rich, poor and middle class. C

ompared to other industrialized nations, our corporate tax rate is too high. Our tax system doesn't need to be more progressive than it already is. Despite noble intentions, government has demonstrated time and time again that it's inefficient, slow and doesn't manage our money well. Look at how it has squandered social security or handled Katrina.

Unfortunately, people want to rely more and more on the government instead of relying on themselves and taking personal responsibility. This includes helping the poor. Being a conservative isn't mutually exclusive with being charitable. But helping others should be more of a personal responsibility than a government mandate.

I'll get off the soapbox now. :)

j janell cf said...

loving all the comments
thanks sophia...

and beth josh was so excited about getting back in touch with you. i've checked out your blog and love it. thanks for the kind words

so gracious holly! i think caucus would be a blast--that's sweet.

granny who the heck are you? dont' advertise on my blog!

thanks b, and i always love what you have to say...i know we'll get into the specifics here in the roberts family political emails, so i'll spare it here. but i agree--immigration is TOUGH. i don't have a problem with people saying no more illegals so much, as long as they aren't haters. like you--you see the problems but aren't insulting--i know you see them as people. some of the things i hear people say about mexicans scares me.

thanks becki! that's something i never hear! nice to get some props. and i'm the reverse of you--if it's obama i'm good with that.

i agree kendi--don't want to take it too seriously. people are still people, government is still government--and there is so much to admire, and so much to laugh about.

glen--love hearing your thoughts! we'll have to talk more about it now that i'm an out-of-closet liberal. i mean, i was never purposely in the closet--but i don't advertise these things. you and i fundamentally disagree on some things, but i appreciate that you're not just talking smack--you know what you believe, and so do i, and we can agree to disagree.

love all the comments! generally i try not to blog politics, but maybe i will more often...

Sansego said...

Let's not forget that it was Bush's government that bungled the Katrina disaster. When Clinton was in office, FEMA was considered to be very prepared and competent in handling natural disasters. Incompentence is what happens when a president appoints a horse trader with no experience in disaster preparedness and relief efforts.

Some say that conservatives believe government can't operate effectively thus why they allow disasters to happen to help fulfill that belief. Simply put, Democrats are better at governing and it shows.

Anonymous said...

Wow! One more comment for Sansego and then that's it for me. I don't want to turn Janell's great blog into a battle ground. One little mention of Bush and it's Armageddon!

I'll be the first one to tell you that Bush has made many mistakes, including Katrina. I'm an independent conservative, not an ideologue. But it's intellectually dishonest to put all the problems of Katrina at the feet of Bush and make it into a "Republican" problem.

The idea that conservatives create disasters or are slow to respond to disasters because they want to further the idea of ineffective government is quite a stretch... but creative. I have a lot more faith in human nature than that. Bush and FEMA should have responded better than they did. But the idea that a person can better run a lethargic agency just because he/she has a "D" before his/her name sounds like kool aid talk to me.

Sansego said...

How do you explain the degradation of FEMA from being the best run agency during the Clinton years to a completely incompetent organization under Bush?

How do you explain the number of unqualified people put in charge of organizations they have no experience in? For example, a just graduated from college young Republican with no experience on Wall Street was given the job to set up Baghdad's stock market.

Grover Norquist famously said that conservatives want to shrink government down to the size where it could drown in a bathtub. Man, after Katrina, they got it on a huge scale.

The entire Bush years can be summed up this way: it was all designed to undermine our government and get people to see just how incompetent it is and that people need to trust corporations to do a better job. It's the complete privatization of every aspect of our lives with no public accountability.

That's why the Republicans are running scared now. So many in Congress are retiring. They know accountability is only months away. I predict a landslide washout of the conservative era. We're in a watershed year because the Republicans backed an incompetent ne'er do well who couldn't even manage two companies his daddy bought for him.

Bill Clinton may have been a cheating scumbag, but he was a good steward of our economy and government simply ran better under him. FEMA was the shining example of the Clinton years. Now it's a complete joke.

j janell cf said...

glen/nick...are you kidding me? please feel FREE to make my blog a battle ground. i think it's fabulous. say whatever you will...

Sansego said...

Maybe I should just go drown in a bathtub!