8.30.2007

sad commentary

this article in the new york times is sad to read. i don't agree with the death penalty under any circumstances. i do, however, understand people's feelings of hopelessness and not knowing what else to do with serial criminals. but here you have a man, now 30, who when he was just 19 years old was in the car with a guy who killed someone. just 19 years old. and you learn that when he was a toddler his dad used to take him on drug runs. and now we're killing him--an eye for an eye. i can't see any justice in that. i don't understand it...

2 comments:

Sansego said...

I support the death penalty only for political and business leaders who abuse their power, like Bush and Ken Lay. Or terrorists like Bin Laden. But not for common criminals...except maybe serial killers. And O.J. Simpson.

Okay, that's a lot of exceptions, I realize...but in general, I'm against it.

Jordon said...

I used to be anti-death penalty, but then I heard my mission president once talking about the Atonement and its totality. He stated that there are only a few sins that are outside the umbrella of the Christ's Atonement--one of which is murder. He then mentioned, that the death penalty (eye for an eye)satisfies the law of justice, thereby allowing the law of mercy to exercise her power. Perhaps in the long run (eternally speaking) the death penalty might be MORE merciful to someone than anything else. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it now. Granted, that isn't official doctrine, but it did make some sense to me. Just food for thought. Hi, by the way, I'm Jordon--Sara's husband. :)